Project work took an unexpectedly good turn when I ended up locating an email to myself. Past Tommie knew he was terrible at hanging onto good production code, so emailed Future Tommie all of the relevant code needed to get the project underway.

Spent several hours over the weekend reviewing the code, making some tweaks, and finally pulling things together for a rev0 setup.

The Good Parts

Back when I attempted this the first time, I used the Arduino Midi Library for all of the output. Since Past Tommie is a pretty smart fella, I don't see any purpose in not using it. A couple of include statements later (including the odd MIDI_CREATE_DEFAULT_INSTANCE(); that I missed the first time around with the new library) and I was sending out MIDI events without any problems

Due to Bad Parts, the wiring is simplified. Sadly, if I want it to have more than a handful of pots attached, I'm pretty much required to use a MUX for the project. While the Arduino 2650 has a boat load of analog inputs (16), I'll burn through them pretty quickly.

As I see it, if I want to create a 2x8 potentiometer board, it's going to require a total of 17 inputs (that's two rows of 8 pots each, and one BPM selector). With 16 inputs by default, I'm still going to be scrambling around for that one last input. MUX it is.

The Bad Parts

Sadly, I was to unequivocally confirm that the MUX Shield I was using isn't working right. Bad soldering at sometime in the past is making for bad inputs. So, An order is in for another couple of shields I'll solder together as replacements.

The part itself is over 5 years old by now, so it might be time to get it replaced. No telling how many years it's been stored and the conditions it has been stored in. So, replacement it is.


While looking for replacement MUX breakout board, I run into a very nice 7-Segment Serial Display. With less than half of the hookup requirements of a full 16x2 display, I think it's going to be a perfect replacement for the 16x2.

Ultimately, the one display on the project will just show BPM's. No real need for the extra hardware since it won't be utilized. Since programming 7-Segment displays is pretty horrible, this little device will be a perfect fit.

Visuals and Sounds

Things are still breadboarded out, so the visuals look pretty much the same as I've always had it. Eventually, a red MUX will sit between the Arduino and the rank of pots. Pots will expand to 2x8 rows, and a brand new 7-Segment will be included as well.

I was able to capture a bit of audio from the device while I had it hooked up. You're hearing a 4x1 bass drum. I started tweaking things a bit about mid-way through the recording. Not a lot at the moment, but it sounds good to me.

Will update the Shango page again once I get the new components installed and wired up.